The short, plain-English version is, I collect email addresses only, I never share your email address with anyone, and I use your email address to send you infrequent announcements about
the release of new books. The lawyer-friendly version is below.
This notice is for this website; www.jakeelwoodwriter.com/ owned by Brent Nichols, 41 Hyslop Drive SW, Calgary, AB, Canada, and governs the privacy of those who use it.
It explains how we control, process, handle and protect your personal data while browsing or using this website, including your rights under current laws and regulations.
"I" or "The Website" refers to Brent Nichols writing as Jake Elwood
"you", "the user" refers to the user of the Website.
GDPR means General Data Protection Act.
Processing of your personal data
Under the GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation) we control and process personal information about you electronically.
Lawful basis: Consent
Lawful basis: Legal obligation
- The reason we use this basis: You gave us consent to use your data when you signed up for my newsletter from my website.
- We process your information in the following ways: To send you a book and keep you updated with special offers and news about my books.
- Data retention period: We will continue to process your information until Jake Elwood stops releasing books
- Sharing your information: We do not share your information with third parties.
- The reason we use this basis: To pay my taxes correctly.
- We process your information in the following ways: I must maintain a list of clients with name, address, and purchases for tax inspections in line with [put your county or nation’s tax service name here]
- Data retention period: Six years
- Sharing your information: We do not share your information with third parties. / We do share your personal information with third parties and they include…
- If, as determined by us, the lawful basis upon which we process your personal information changes, we will notify you about the change and any new lawful basis to be used if required. We shall stop processing your personal information if the lawful basis used is no longer relevant.
Under the GDPR your rights are as follows.
- the right to be informed;
- the right of access;
- the right to rectification;
- the right to erasure;
- the right to restrict processing;
- the right to data portability;
- the right to object; and
- the right not to be subject to automated decision-making including profiling.
Data security and protection
We do not store any personal data about you. Your email address is stored by an email marketing service provider called Mailchimp. See the next section for more about them.
Email marketing messages & subscription
Under the GDPR we use the consent lawful basis for anyone subscribing to our newsletter or marketing mailing list. We only collect certain data about you, as detailed in the "Processing of your personal data" above.
Any email marketing messages we send are done so through an email marketing service provider. We use Mailchimp.
You can opt out of receiving emails or ask to see the data we hold for you, or request we remove your data at any time by the following methods:
- Email address
- IP address
- Subscription time & date
UPDATED AUGUST 2018
- Unsubscribe at the bottom of the email
- Contact us at author (at) jakeelwoodwriter.com